Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sign of the Time in the Year 2010

Sorry that I am not writing everyday like some. Writing is my lesser of skill list and it is not easy for me to open up and not easy for me to practice writing neither. I had kept my thoughts to myself for years. Sometime there are too many inputs for me to deal with. Each time I go out I see it. The once thriving technologies in the valley are no longer there. The half full parking lots during working hours and the empty business buildings; the restaurants either close or half full. Retails that closed and not working. Sometime it has you wondering if you going to survive in period of time.  It is hard to find work at this time and even if you do the managers get abusive, because they are under unrealistic demand. Still the dot.com crash and the 9/11 it had never been the same. The locking of the lobbies because people come in and demand an interview, the remove of receptionists to auto answering machine because of people lies to get contact in the company. It had become less and less friendly. Those that survive the laid off is force to up unreal hours and ended up doing 4 or 5 people jobs. Sometime you feel you never get home. Corporation had turned their back on family value. If both parent work, then who is watching the kids and supervising or be their mentor.  In essence we had abandoned them to their own confusion in growing up or giving them value and lost of self worth. It is even worst now because those who graduate with degrees can’t find the job in the field they had their passion in. Those who have passion in their professional field and have over 15 years experiences can’t get a job because they are overqualified. Then they tell us that on the average people has 7 careers in their life time and also that we are lucky to even have a job that last 7 months. Actually I think age discrimination is start at 35 from those that I talked to. Office politics are their worst at the moment.  Everybody is afraid for theirs jobs, especially managers.  Which seem to seem to have great pleasure belittling their underlings and passing the buck.

I took a retail job out of curiosity and experience. It was to see what it takes to run a retail/service business. I had always been worked in information or technical field and had been classified as INTP (Introverted, intuitive, Thinking and Perceiving) in Myers Briggs’s classification for years. I don’t the classification are fixed, a counselor said sometime you can step over the other side of the bar at time. I had done technical customer service before but I don’t think it can compare to retails. Dealing with the some of public is sometime illogical. It is not something I can on a regular basis not a lifetime of it. I have the same problem trying to do real estate. The retail store manager has it bad. You have to show a profit or you are out the door. Must follow the corporate visual and report daily. Also the secret shopper program counts. The secret shopper can get you fired if they give you a bad report on service. Even if the corporate has excellent customer service programs the store manager may not observe it same for how they deal with employees. I was at the store part-time for 4 years and it have had 5 different managers. I think the last was the worst. She tends to roll over you so her number is good for the corporate office. She got rid of the senior people.  It seem like you have to buy things to keep her happy. She yells at you for returning things. She create situation to make it sound it is your fault and belittle you just to get you to get you quit so she can hired cheaper labor. When she hired new people the first 30 days is on the corporate budget for training instead of hers overhead.

I think right now I have a hard time dealing with people, I preferred to hide behind the computer hours at time. Right now I don’t think I have that option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

My Portfolio

I have been doing graphic for a long time. I had always done traditional media arts and crafts beside digital art. I was hoping that my portfolio would reflect it. I am also very technical with engineering education and training. I had gone from the drafting board to digital in the 70’s. I can do 3d modeling as well as printed circuit board layout besides painting in oil or watercolor. I have a passion for both trying to keep on learning and be creative. This is my main portfolio, but I am working on another version too.. This one is call "The Illustrator". I am working on another called the "Muse".

http://mindsprite.wix.com/the-illustrator

I had ran out space in my own website so I created a new gallery at a different location.
Gallery
The Whole 9

.

.

My Gallery

buy posters and art prints

ScienceDaily: Strange Science News

University of Cambridge News

ScienceDaily: Mind & Brain News

ScienceDaily: Allergy News

GameLife

Raw File

The Verge - All Posts

Mashable

Latest financial news - CNNMoney.com

ScienceDaily: Quantum Physics News

Psych Central Blog Network

Wired Science

Gadget Lab

CNN.com - Technology

CNN.com - U.S.

CNN.com - Entertainment

CNN.com - Health